Friday, May 29, 2009

My Second First Quilt

I made this quilt about 5 years after I made my first quilt.  Why is this my second first quilt? Because this was the first time I made a quilt top using a sewing machine and it was the first quilt I had made in about 5+ years and really got me back into quilting.  (Bentley just had to be in the picture)
What got me back into quilting, back when I was either a junior or senior in high school, was attending the Lowell Quilt Festival.  I picked up a fat quarter packet and this pattern and decided to give it a go.  This time, I did have a rotary mat and cutter, but I didn't know to use the ruler to measure and instead I used the lines on the mat.  I had never read any how-to quilt books or taken a class.  Considering that, I think it came out OK.  I think the placement of the fabrics and blocks was what impressed me the most after taking this out of a bag after several years.  Not had, eh?
With all that being said, there are quite a few errors.  Seams don't match up well and it doesn't really lay flat.  Oh well.  It's still fun to look back at where I started and see how far I've come.  



2 comments:

  1. You have come quite far, but this one is still great!
    -Katie

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a beautiful quilt. I think you did a super job, especially for your first (or semi-first) quilt.

    And I love your cat on your quilt. Sew cute. Thanks for sharing.

    SewCalGal
    www.sewcalgal.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete