Friday, October 16, 2009

Bucket List of Quilts

I started thinking of what kind of quilts I've made in the past and what kind of quilts I'd like to make eventually. As a result, I thought I'd share some of the styles of quilts I've made and other's that I'd like to make. I'd love to hear what quilts are on your bucket list.

Quilt Styles/Techniques that I've made (some are just tops needing quilting, but I'm including them here anyway) I'm including techniques because I think learning a technique is just as important as a style of quilt.
  • Bento Box
  • Blooming 9 Patch (as a gift, I'm thinking of making one for myself eventually though)
  • Disappearing 9 Patch
  • Crazy 9 Patch
  • Bargello
  • Fence & Rail
  • One Block Wonder
  • Braid Quilt
  • Stained Glass
  • Mariners Compass
  • Applique
  • Paper Piecing
  • Curved Piecing
Here's what I'd still like to make, or my bucket list:
  • Coin Quilt (I know, it's simple, but I'd like to make one)
  • Loan Star quilt (I'm still trying to gather the perfect fabric for one of these)
  • Aunt Millie's Garden (I know I said I'm not an applique fan, but I'm starting to like this quilt)
  • Tumbler Quilt
  • A quilt to be entered into a show bigger then a local quilt guild show such as the Lowell Quilt Festival, a much larger show
  • A Red and Aqua/Teal quilt. I know this is a popular color combo right now, but I've always loved this color combination, long before it became popular
  • Perfecting my machine quilting (I've done about 4 quilts on my machine now, but I'm not at the level I'd like to be. My skills in making quilt tops is far superior to my machine quilting skills. This is why I have so many unfinished tops. I'm trying to bring my machine quilting skills up to quilt my better tops.)
  • Y seams. I've never made a quilt needing it, but I'm sure I will need to learn this when I make the loan star quilt. I'm not avoiding it, I've just never needed to learn.
The other thing on my bucket list that's not a style or technique is to eventually buy a much better machine, preferably a Bernina Aurora 440 QE (or equivalent when the time comes). Right now I'm sewing on an average Singer. It does a great job piecing, but I've had a horrible time machine quilting with it.

I'm sure my bucket list will grow/change as new techniques are introduced, but that is my bucket list of quilts. What's yours?

1 comment:

  1. Jen what a great idea. A bucket list for quilts. I would love to hand quilt more of the quilts I make if I could speed up the process. I want to make a new york beauty.

    ReplyDelete