Thursday, May 27, 2010

Blogger's Quilt Festival

I've decided to participate in the Blogger's Quilt Festival this time around.  I've enjoyed seeing all of the great quilts around, so I thought I'd share.








This quilt is still one of my favorite quilts that I've ever made.  I think because at the time that I made it, it was one of the most advanced quilts I've made and I was just in love with the color choices.  Before this quilt I tended to lean towards jewel tones or bright colors.  Now, I have learned to branch out, although I still love jewel tones.  The colors for this quilt were inspired by the border fabric, which I fell in love with.

This was the first paper pieced quilt that I ever made.  I thought it was the best thing ever when I first did it.  Looking back at the quilt, I see a ton of mistakes,  but I still love it.  I took a class at a local quilt store on paper piecing for this quilt.  I took the class with my aunt, who was making the same pattern but never finished the quilt.  The pattern was originally for one block to be made into a small wall hanging, but I loved how my block turned out soooooooo much that I made another 8 squares after going back to buy more fabric. 

Here are some close ups of the individual blocks.  The pattern is from Carol Doak's 50 Fabulous Paper Pieced Stars. 


8 comments:

  1. Well, I don't see any mistakes! I just see a lovely quilt with a very interesting fabric selection. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a vibrant and wonderful quilt. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the design!

    Margaret
    www.quiltsoflove.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the colors and the way they make your eye move. What a happy quilt! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great job! Everytime I have tried paper piecing, I end up doing something backwards. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. A beautiful quilt :o) The stars in stars are awesome and it is great how you alternated the colors.
    I love paper piecing... I am a novice quilter with so many unfinished ones!

    Blessings & Aloha!
    (I finally have some free time so am trying to get to more amazing Quilt Festival posts!... so happy to see yours. I would love to have you pop over to my place. And if you get a chance, please let me know by leaving a comment. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's a beautiful quilt. I love the colors too! How fun to take a class with your aunt. Thank you for sharing your quilt's story :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. lovely quilt. the material is great and your stars are really nice. thanks for sharing and come visit me if you get a chance

    ReplyDelete