Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Trying Something Out

I signed up for the Modern She Made Swap on Flickr last week and received my partner info on Monday.  All of last weekend, I had an idea in my mind that I just had to try out.  I kept seeing a lot of traditional blocks made in a modern way.  I had this idea for a house block that I just had to try out.
This is what I sketched out in MS Publisher to get a sense of what I was looking to do.  I was thinking that the rainbow would be a strip of 1/4" bits of fabric.

What did I do? Test it out of course.
I cut out strips of Kona in 3/4" widths and sewed them together. Cut them in half, sewed them together.  
Rinse and repeat until you're left with this:
A rainbow strand of fabric.

I was so pumped with where I was going with this, I just continued even further and created this:
Um, I think I'm in love!

I think I'll add a small border in a light brown.
I'm debating between the cream, which is actually lighter than this picture depicts since it was taken late at night, or a light brown.  I'm going to have to sit on this one for a little bit to decide which one I want. 

I'm not sure this is really my partner's style for this swap, but I thought it would be fun to try anyway. 

3 comments:

  1. This is very impressive and pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am in the same swap and LOVE this! The rainbow pieced strips add so much life! Great block, and great idea for a new take on a quilt of houses!

    ReplyDelete