Wednesday, December 5, 2012

WIP Wednesday: Some Machine Quilting

Last night I got to work quilting my modern hexagon quilt.
I like to start in the center of the quilt to avoid puckering in the middle.  So, I drew a bunch of lines on the center portion of the quilt and started quilting.  I alternated between 1/4" and 1/2" between the echoed lines.
It took me a couple of hours to get this much done.  (Ignore the threads I need to bury.)  I really like how it came out.  It's cool how the echoed hexagons turn into a star as the pattern gets progressively smaller.  Now I need to figure out what I'm going to do in the white sashing and the hexagons. 

WIP Wednesday at Freshly Pieced

9 comments:

  1. can't wait to see this one done :) Love the echo center!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome Sauce. That's a lot of quilting. Not the fun kind, the annoying kind. Precise with lots of thread ends and turning. Well worth it though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks great. I have yet to figure out how to get my thread on the top of the quilt so that I can bury the thread. I always do a stippling design so I can just go from edge to edge and not have to bury. Would love to know how.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like that quilting design.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks like it will be gorgeous when it's finished!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey, that's neat how it morphs into a star.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow this looks like a ton of work. I think it will be worth it in the end. Geometry is really cool.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, that quilting is amazing!!! The star effect is definitely worth the quilting effort, says me;-) I find it less overwhelming to keep a self-threading needle next to my machine and bury my knots as I go... that way they don't get tangled and I don't have to sit down and do it all at once. Plus it gives me time to contemplate my next round of quilting;-)

    ReplyDelete