Wednesday, September 11, 2013

SewDown Philly Wrap Up

Last weekend I was fortunate to attend the Philly SewDown, hosted by The MQG, with four of my fellow Boston MQGers.

I arrived a little early and had a chance to stroll around Old Town Philly. This was my first time in Philly, so I wanted to check out some of the sights.


My first class was with Liesl Gibson on making a sample textured quilt. I made these four blocks in the class.

Here I am with Liesl!


My second class on Saturday was with Elizabeth Hartman. Here we learned tips and tricks on making a perfectly quilted tote. Here are the Boston MQG members with Elizabeth and are partially quilted panels.

On Sunday we took a class on beyond quilting cottons with Alexia Abegg and got to touch THE Marcelle Medallion quilt! I've been hoarding a ton of silks and have been too hesitant to cut into them. Maybe after this class I will.

I MAY have gone and purchased a ton of Liberty of London fabrics after this class. Needless to say, I was inspired to do something outside of my comfort zone.

Finally, I got to hang out with Lizzy House and learn her secrets to making The Meadow quilt.

Lizzy will be coming to visit the guild in November, so I better get moving so that I have something to show her during her visit.

Because the classes were three hours long, I was able to get a jump start on a bunch of projects and am excited to finish a few of them. Now to just decide what to finish first. To check out all of the projects and happenings from the SewDown, check out Instragram.

The weekend also included several lectures during lunches and dinner. Overall, I had a great time getting to know some of my blogging friends a bit better and spending time with some of my awesome guild members. I thought the SewDown was a great event and if my schedule permits, maybe I'll attend another one. My schedule will be tightening up a bit though, as I will be going back to school for my MBA starting in two weeks.

Registration opens tomorrow for the Portland SewDown. If you're on the fence, just go for it. How can you beat a weekend of sewing? 

5 comments:

  1. Oh so awesome! Looks like you had a great time. Just love Lizzy, Elizabeth...well, each of them! I am going to start a medallion soon, can't wait to see what you do with silk ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you had a lovely time. Thanks for sharing part of it with us. Congrats on beginning your MBA journey!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks like you had a blast! I can't wait to sign up for Sew Down Nashville.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good times!!! I may also have purchased a ton of Liberty... we should have coordinated;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lizzy is coming to the guild in November?! That will be awesome!

    ReplyDelete