Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Simply Solid Quilt

What seems like ages ago, it was my month in the Simply Solids Bee (on Flickr) earlier this spring. I asked my fellow bee members to make improv blocks using mostly whites and creams with a few hints of a specific fusha, lime and navy fabric.

I made this test block to show everyone what I was thinking.

Blocks started to pour in and I was faced with turning all of these blocks into a cohesive quilt. For a while I wasn't sure where to start. Some of the blocks had teeny tiny pieces while others had larger pieces of negative space. After a while, the blocks sat in a pile... out of sight, out of mind.

But last weekend I finally had some time to sew for the first time in months. One of my first orders of business was to finally tackle this quilt. After hearing Victoria Findlay Wolfe talk about taking some bee blocks she received and cutting them up to use in quilts, I thought about dissecting some of these blocks with tiny pieces and inserting those pieces into some of the blocks with more negative space.

The result, I have to say, is pretty awesome! I'm really pleased with how it turned out. I quickly went online to order a backing print that I had in mind and have been thinking of how I want to quilt this one up. I have a few ideas, but until my longarm is fixed, I'm stuck contemplating the best way of quilting it.

Linking up to WIP Wednesday at Freshly Pieced.

9 comments:

  1. I too think it is pretty awesome - love the low volumes :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool! Not so the word verification :-/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really nice work. I love the colors too. I hope your long arm gets fixed soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. this is very awesome! what a great way to put together a quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is looking fabulous and I love all the pop of colors.
    Can't wait to see how you decide to quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, you were brave! Bravo in making that all look cohesive! Stopping by from WIP, RunningHen.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think it looks awesome, shows how fantastic, interesting and varied quilts with just solids can be.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome! Looks even better in the phone pics with the finished quilting!

    ReplyDelete